In the world of healthcare, providing exceptional care to patients while improving the clinician experience can be a challenging venture. As believers in the power of quality care, CareXM helps home-health and hospice providers navigate staffing, financial, and patient care challenges to elevate the experience for all. Goshen Health, a renowned 3,000-employee Magnet Hospital, proved that effective experience management, home-health and hospice programs not only survive but thrive–even during the most intensive situations.
Before the emergence of the COVID pandemic, Goshen Health received their Magnet designation, assuring patients, families and the community of the highest quality care. This status showcased the entire organization as a leader in providing strong patient and clinician experiences. Goshen Health highlighted their adaptability by recognizing the importance of leveraging technology, restructuring processes, and focusing on its people. This innovative approach successfully saw them through this chaotic period, making them stronger for it. Director of Home Care and Hospice, Rebecca Simmons, spearheaded an innovative approach that combined technology, a dedicated triage system, and workforce restructuring to drive positive changes.
Here’s a closer look at Goshen Health’s action plan and the remarkable results they achieved within the first year:
The Action Plan
People, Processes & Technology
Goshen Health’s journey to improve the patient and clinician experience began with a holistic approach. First, they recognized that success would depend on addressing multiple parts of their operations. To achieve this delicate balance, they prioritized three key areas: people, processes, and technology.
- People are at the heart of healthcare. Goshen became dedicated to supporting both patients and clinicians throughout this growth process, leaving no one behind.
- Processes show who you are. Goshen left no stone unturned, dedicating time to transform their administrative processes throughout every part of their healthcare routines.
- Technology transforms your quality of care. Goshen elevated their procedures with triage and telehealth which supported, maintained, and engaged the healthcare journey for all.
Goshen Health recognized they needed a dedicated workforce committed to their mission of quality care. To achieve a committed team, they undertook a significant restructuring effort and converted part-time employees into salaried full-time equivalents (FTEs). This significant change created opportunity for staff, but more importantly, it led to clear productivity expectations for everyone. It not only created a highly stable workforce, but also allowed for greater patient engagement opportunities and accountability efforts overall.
Engage Triage Technology
One of the pivotal steps in Goshen Health’s transformation was their commitment to partnering with a provider offering a care coordination platform with business intelligence for healthcare–CareXM. This collaboration allowed Goshen to streamline after-hours triage and leverage technology to enhance patient care and clinician support. With a robust triage system in place, the hospital staff could focus on what mattered most—proactive case management and improved patient outcomes.
A triage service partner like CareXM, combined with a hybrid triage model, back up your team on evenings, weekends, or during daytime overflow. On-demand clinical and non-clinical caregivers represent your office with professionalism and compassion. Messages are recorded and are available through CareXM’s easy-to-use web portal. Plus, cost-effective patient activity reporting makes it easy for your team to follow up with patients after they’re back on shift.
Goshen’s Remarkable Results
The changes implemented within Goshen Health yielded impressive results within just one year. These outcomes highlighted the success of their strategic approach and the positive impact on both patients and clinicians in many different aspects:
- 70% Reduction in Overtime Expenses: By optimizing their workforce alongside CareXM, Goshen Health achieved a remarkable reduction in overtime expenses. The considerate amount of savings allowed the hospital to invest in other areas that needed support the most. They were able to hire full-time case managers, as well as dedicated evening and weekend staff that ensured around-the-clock patient support.
- Significant Reduction in After-Hours Calls: With a streamlined triage system in place, Goshen Health experienced a significant decrease in after-hours calls. This allowed for proactive patient management, ensuring that each patient received timely care and support–even over the phone.
- Drastic Reduction in Call Times: When it came to telehealth services, Goshen found a true clinician-backed and solution-based partner. Together, shorter call times translated to improved patient satisfaction overall as complaints dwindled.
- Clinician Peace of Mind: The restructuring efforts and improved triage system provided clinicians with the peace of mind needed to tackle the overwhelming number of patients. Best of all, they could “unplug” and disconnect from work, still confident that their patients were receiving quality care during non-office hours.
- Leadership in Employee Engagement: Goshen’s firm dedication to improving the clinician experience had a profound impact on employee engagement across the board. Their home health and hospice sector set the standard for emotional commitment, inspiring other departments to follow suit and work on behalf of Goshen’s other goals.
- Enhanced Documentation and Virtual Mentoring: Accreditation reviewers from Press Ganey® noted significant improvements in clinician documentation and virtual mentoring. It was clear that Goshen’s commitment to quality care and continuous improvement had become a pioneer for home-health and hospice programs alike.
“CareXM has been worth its weight in gold and moved us toward our goals in patient satisfaction related to response times and colleague work-life balance” –Rebecca Simmons RN, BSM, MSA, BSed, NE-BC Director of Home Care and Hospice at Goshen Health.
With the Right Partnership, Providers Can Overcome Any Outcome
Goshen Health’s journey to enhance the patient and clinician experience serves as an inspiring example of what can be achieved through innovation, commitment, and strategic thinking. By focusing on people, processes, technology, and by partnering with CareXM, they achieved remarkable results within a short timeframe. This success story underscores the profound impact that a patient-centered approach can have on both clinician and patient satisfaction, ultimately making healthcare a better experience for everyone involved.
Fortunately, CareXM is the kind of experienced, clinical partner you can count on to deliver the help you need to elevate your patient and caregiver experiences. Our mission is to help our partners effortlessly anticipate and respond to patient needs with triage technology backed by our on-demand triage team. Whether you need after-hours triage, our cost-saving hybrid triage solutions, or in-house triage call-center infrastructure, we help you flex and extend your care, so you reach patients in the moments they need help the most. From home health and hospice to health systems and more, CareXM will transform your patient approach to lower operating costs.